It’s hard to put it all into words but I will try. Our 24th annual Christmas tour went Midwest, Plains, Pacific Northwest, and West Coast this year, and it has been one of the most successful tours in the history of The Oak Ridge Boys. We performed 30 shows in 27 cities overall, and 80% of those shows were complete sellouts. The other 20% were very close.
We had a few “sick puppies” along the way, as I heard Duane Allen tell Jim Halsey. But everyone held up well and performed magnificently every single night. Our band… Jeff, Donnie, Rex, Chris, Scotty, and Ron were stellar every night. Every note of every song was played with precision and compassion. The four BOYS were blessed with VOICE every show, as well, and pretty much killed it in every city! I was sick early on, but God blessed me with being able to sing no matter how bad I might have felt, and for this I am very thankful. Richard, Duane, and William Lee did some of their best singing EVER on this tour.
The most praise goes to our drivers and our hard working crew! Billy and Marc and Lem drove over 10,000 miles and got us there safely every single day, despite some rough sledding and long hours on occasion.
Many thanks go out to Dave, Jeff, Chris, Marko, and Greg for getting all of the massive production up and ready for every show. I challenge any act on the road to do this better than OUR guys! Special thanks as well to Mikey C for handling all the merchandise every single night, even when it became overwhelming.
NOTHING HAPPENS WITHOUT DARRICK KINSLOW! As usual, every base is covered every single day, and along with that he hosted the show every night. He NEVER stops! I swear the guy has more energy then any of us! He even cooks!
Our Operations Manager, Jon Mir, working closely each day with WILLAM MORRIS ENDEAVOR and PROMOTERS like Al and Chris Zar planned and expedited this tour! The Zars outdid themselves this year!!
Thanks to Karin, Kathy, and Carrie in the home office for keeping the business grinding!
A special thanks to publicist Sanford Brokaw for having every date covered with major press and to Richard Sterban for doing most ALL of the phone interviews with newspapers and radio in every city we played! Thanks, too, to Kirt and Jeremy at Webster & Associates for their work.
NOTHING just happens… it takes a ton of work and our guys have been the BEST.
As a side note, I hope you were following @oakridgeboys on Twitter for continuous tour updates and photos. It would have kept you in the loop, so to speak.
So many memories: Singing every night, but one, from Thanksgiving through December 22, and on that ONE we drove through THREE blizzards from Cedar City, Utah to Billings, Montana, where it was 30 below zero! Brrrr.
Beautiful performance halls sold out all the way to the top.
The privilege and honor of partnering with Compassion International and helping children along the way.... Have YOU sponsored a child yet? THANK GOD for KIDS!
The arena at SUU in Cedar Rapids, Utah… 4000 people and 400 children gathered around SANTA!
DK driving the bus from Eugene to Portland to fix the generator and getting back just in time for show!
Governor Gary Herbert of Utah proclaiming it OAK RIDGE BOYS DAY in the state!
General Chuck Yeager introducing the show in NAPA Valley!
Meeting Trini Lopez in Coachella.
The 24-hour drive through three blizzards.
Duane Allen singing “Getting Ready For A Baby.”
William Lee singing “Mary Did You Know?”
Richard singing BASS…. ‘Nuff said!
SANTA and the Peterbilt Sleigh!
The beloved Rocking Chair Segment!
Honoring the true meaning of CHRISTMAS and JESUS every SINGLE night!! So thankful for THE GLORIOUS IMPOSSIBLE!!
As we arrive home on December 23rd to be with OUR precious families, the Christmas Time’s A Comin’ Tour will fly around inside our minds and hearts for a long time to come! Thank You, Lord, for bringing us through and for blessing our work with Your guidance and presence and healing hand. It is ALL for YOU!
Thank you, Wisconsin Dells, Branson, Portsmouth, Sioux Falls, Des Moines, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Cedar City, Billings, Boise, Kennewick, Lewiston, Spokane, Eugene, Redding, Yountville, Northridge, Coachella, Tucson, Amarillo, Topeka, Cedar Rapids, Wabash, Akron, Toledo, and Green Bay!!!
Thank you, friends, for the prayers that have guided us through this tour and the past year as we have celebrated 40 years of singing together. After a short vacation we will see you in 2014!! Lots of dates, a LIVE album, a big CRUISE and, yes… another Christmas tour!
Merry Christmas to ALL!!!